Thursday, September 27, 2007

Speech Therapy - 2nd Session

On Wednesday mornings a speech therapist visits our home to help Adam Jr. He has a speech delay for his age. While he is 26 months old, he only uses about 5-7 words. He does babble a lot. His lack of communication skills can result in tantrums and other not so fun behavior.
In looking at possible causes of the delay and the different behaviors Adam Jr. exhibits the therapist brought up two possible scenarios. One is something referred to as Sensory Integration Disorder and the other was Autism.
Upon hearing these possibilities a wave of fear and confusion ran through me. I thought maybe we had just allowed the Binky use to go on too long, or maybe, being a third child, we just spoke for him and catered to him too much.
I have done just a little research since yesterday on the topics. I certainly hope he proves to have neither. But I would hope for SID over Autism. I looked a little on-line at the symptoms of each and Adam falls into them about 50% of the time.
Behaviors such as tantrums that he cant figure out how to come out of on his own, changes in schedule causing melt-downs, sensitivity to being too hot, walking on his toes, hating to get his teeth brushed (we practically have to sit on him to brush his teeth), and obviously the speech delay along with the fact he also performed some other tasks later than other kids.
Adam is very bright, can follow directions (when he chooses), can interact well with people (again, when he so chooses), but has these other tendencies that are disrupting to him leading the typical 2-year old life.
Please keep your prayers with our family and with our little guy. We believe he will be fine. When I became pregnant for the third time, before we knew the sex of our baby, I would often pray,"God, I really want a girl, but if you give me a boy, please let him be destined for great things." Well, of course we have 3 boys, so I believe he is destined for greatness, one way or another!

No comments: